Monday, September 19, 2016


As I mentioned in my first blog, the name 'Reem' translates to 'gazelle' in Arabic. Now, I will expand on my name and the "elegance" behind it. 


The name "Reem" is of African and Swahili origins, therefore it has multiple roots. 

Wikipedia defines my name as: (Arabicريم‎‎) is an Arabic female given name, which means "gazelle" and symbolizes purity, elegance and grace. Reem is considered to be an upper-class name, and many princesses have held it. Reem is often used in Arabic literature and poetry as a metaphor for beauty and elegance. 

Wikipedia is here to inform us and provide us with definitions, however that doesn't necessarily mean that my personality should not conform wikipedia's definition of the type of individual 'Reem' should be. Why? Because your name is not a label, it is something that is given to you and it's acceptance is not mandatory, as you are not forced to accept everything that is given to you, right? But, I accept my name because it suits me, not by definition, however by it's simplicity. I admire my name, because it can be easily pronounced by multiple accents and it still sounds (quite) the same! 


Also, "Reem" is used as a slang word in England, specifically by Joey Essex in a show named 'The Only Way in Essex' and it holds a similar, but not identical, meaning to what my parents initially aimed for. Joey Essex's definition of 'Reem' is: brilliant, good, cool, fashionable; close, but not close enough. When I visit England, people there do not take my name seriously; all as a result of Joey Essex.


Below is a song Joey created, without my consent.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Reem! I'm happy to have read your blog because it taught me so much about the name "Reem" that has given me a new found appreciation for it. I certainly agree with your name not being a label as we are given them before people even know who we are as humans. For someone to judge another is simply unfair as there is no basis to the claim. I'm sorry Joey's simply ignorance for using your name without your approval but hey, least you got a song to your name.

    ReplyDelete